Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Nureyev


The other night, while watching my good PBS station, I saw two documentaries on ballet. The first one had me rapt to the TV, I'll come back to that one, the second one had some interesting tidbits but really lost me when it came to the actual ballet performances. Traditional ballet does nothing for me, no matter how well the New York City Ballet is preforming. But the first one, entitled NUREYEV: THE RUSSIAN YEARS, was spellbinding for me. It chronicles the life of Rudolf Nureyev prior to and right after his defection from Russia. Through interviews with friends and fellow dancers from the period, it opens up his life and shows how driven and special he was. I was amazed at his dedication and determination. Ballet was his life. Then, his defection was quite dramatic. He hadn't planned it and he stood in a place where if he went back to Russia he knew he would never leave again but if he didn't he would never go back. It's such a huge choice.

Now, I'm debating whether or not to add ballet to my life list, because they were in some serious good shape.

No comments: