Monday, April 21, 2008

The Viewing of The Return of Jezebel James


So, I didn't watch this show when it did premiere on Fox this winter, but they still have it up in their On Demand. I only saw this because I was looking to see if I had seen last week's episode of The Simpsons. Morbid curiosity drove me to watch it because it has Amy Sherma-Palladino (creator of Gilmore Girls, which I love), Parker Posey (to me, she's wooden, but those indie people seem to love her) and Lauren Ambrose (she was good on Six Feet Under) but the show died a quick, painful death on prime time. I had to see how possibly bad the show was. I watched all three aired episodes.

Verdict:

The Bad
1. Sherman-Palladino is not suited for the traditional, three camera sitcom. It should have been single camera.
2. Parker Posey saying Coco.
3. The fast paced, pop culture referenced dialogue.
4. The changing of Posey's house to the biggest co-op in NY.
5. The show's name comes from an imaginary friend of Coco's that's turned into a book.

The Good
1. Seeing Gilmore Girl regulars.
2. The fast paced, pop culture referenced dialogue.
3. No commercials tanks to Fox On Demand.
4. I laughed a few times.
5. I can't think of it.


So, I don't think it would have become appointment viewing, but I might have caught it on Lifetime as reruns, which would have been inevitable.

No comments: