Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday Movies

A long update....
for a long absence.

God Grew Tired of Us - It was okay, it seemed like a gloss over of the refugee's experience in America. I felt for their plight. They were Sudanese lost boys.

Brokeback Mountain - I rented this one right after Heath's death, which made it all the more heart breaking.

O Fantasma - Oh boy, quite interesting. A case study on the decent into madness or whatever running around a garbage dump in a latex suit qualifies as.

Far From Heaven - Very beautifully shot and Moore is amazing. It's frustrating to see people's "open-minded" responses to racism but it was so true.

Babel - This quite the integrated story and it was well done but I wouldn't watch it again even though it has Garcia and Blanchett in it.

Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix - I enjoyed it. I read the book a while ago, so I'm not sure what was left out because it covered most of what I could remember.

The Science of Sleep - It was different but a little further out there that I wanted to go. But Garcia was great.

Cars - I finally watched this Pixar gem and really liked it. It was much better than I thought it would be and there is a sequel on the way.

Inside Man - This one was quite good. Foster, Owen, Washington, and Captain Von Trapp team up for a fun suspense flick. I'd watch it again.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - Blanchett does quite well but the film over all fails to live up to its predecessor and it has Owen in it also.

Wedding Crashers - I wanted something light and funny. It didn't disappoint and it didn't try to be more than it was.

Finding Neverland - A touching film that shows our societal norms hinder creativity and imagination. Depp and Winslet shine.

Thumbsucker - ehh, it had an interesting cast but on a whole it didn't so anything for me. Swinton I love and now I've seen a few films with the lead, Lou Taylor Pucci.

Blades of Glory - I got this one solely for Amy Poehler and Will Arnett, the married couple playing brother and sister. the rest of it was quite ehh, a few funny moments.

Breakfast on Pluto - It's okay. Murphy knows how to be fem, that's for sure. But they tended to mumble and I didn't quite follow the whole thing.

Jesus Camp - Scary, scary, scary. Basically how evangelicals breakdown kids and rebuild them to do their political/religious work.

I Could Never Be Your Woman - Sadly this was not Clueless in a mid-life crisis. It wasn't awful and Rudd and Pfeiffer do well in it. But it is lacking something.

Fast Food Nation - It's Sinclair's The Jungle for the modern age. It doesn't add anything that wasn't there a 100 years ago but it does have a pretty surprising ensemble cast.

Mysterious Skin - Gordon-Levitt has been picking some provocative roles and this one's out there. It's a strong story of a child's way of dealing with abuse. It's intense.

The Bourne Ultimatum - Another solid offering in the Bourne saga. Good fast paced action, but you have to pay attention unless all you want are chases.

Winter Passing - Daschanel is the only child of eccentric writers going back home to make some money off the remaining one. Ferrel in not his usual role which is a bonus. Over all could have been funnier, more emotional, darker, something stronger.

Spartan - Veronica Mars is in this one, only reason to rent it, but she isn't in it until the end. Otherwise it's just pseudo political thriller starring Kilmer. meh.

Enchanted - Yay! I really enjoyed it. I have been a Disney animation fan forever. This film has so many references that if I drank I would make it a game every time I spotted one.

Burnt Money - The fictionalized account of the last month of two bank robbers from Argentina that go out in a blaze of gunfire, drugs and lust/love. The film ends powerfully and it stuck with me for a long time.

Zodiac - A murderer is on the loose and he loves the media but no one ever catches him. That is until one cartoonist catches obsession fever. It's a bit long, but well acted and overall done.

Across The Universe - Oh Magic. It's like a long music video with a very loose plot based on a decade starring The Beatles songs. Beautiful and lovely voices and pretty pictures.

Wristcutters: A Love Story - I posted about this movie a few months back. It's not as good as it could be but enjoyable nonetheless. Plus, GOB is in it!

Now, Netflix also has an instant viewing feature which I have taken advantage of and those films are the following:

I'm Reed Fish - Quirky little film about the director making a film about his life in the movie butthe movie's about his life. There are three layers here, it kills time nicely.

Chalk - I mocumentary about high school teachers that I couldn't even finish.

The Great Happiness Space - A documentary about Japanese guys that's job is to make women happy and separate them from their hard earned money. I didn't finish this one either.

The Motorcycle Diaries - Interesting look at the beginning's of Che's life. But there are issues with showing his idealistic start without continuing to show the after mass of his ways.

The Ten - I wish it were funnier. There were a lot of cool people in it.

A bunch of Miss Marple Mysteries - I love Agatha Christie.

No comments: